I’ve been busy the past little while which explains the lack of posts. My job lately has been to migrate my staff off a temporary Exchange 2007 server (been in production about a year) at the library and move them a new Microsoft Exchange 2007 Server and Blackberry Enterprise Server at the courthouse. Did the usual stuff you do when you create a new exchange server. Installed it adding it to the current organization. Started moving mailboxes once it was up and going starting with my own mailbox. Had to create the public folders on the new server to satisfy BES, moved the address book to the new server and then once I was happy it was working okay, I moved remaining mailboxes to the new server. When I tried to uninstall exchange off the old server, I kept getting an error message that the server had public folders that had to be removed first before I could uninstall. The server was no longer housing anything that was needed by the exchange organization but the uninstall would not work.
I got digging on the error and it looks to be a problem with Exchange SP1. I found the answer here http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid43_gci1302366,00.html. I followed the steps I found in this article and was able to uninstall exchange off the old exchange server.